Thursday, June 28, 2007

Gnuwin32, what about the docs????

Today I had to surrender and use grep on a pile of rubbish, er ..., on some Cognos files, those pesky .icr, so I went to the GNUWin32 site, downloaded the grep installer for windows and run, just like any good (windows) boy would do ... and the first surprise came, the gnuwin32/bin dir is not added to path ... anyway, I added it by hand and went on, in hope that a simple grep --help would give me all infos, here it is:
D:\FOLDER>grep --help
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE] ...
Search for PATTERN in each FILE or standard input.
Example: grep -i 'hello world' menu.h main.c

So I'd say single quotes are good, but ... this is what worked ... I'm just pissed by this

D:\FOLDER>grep -H "Table :" *.icr > tables_in_catalog.txt

NO single quotes, but DOUBLE quotes!

No comments: